Strawberries are the theme of the month; Fred and Ida are in the Kitchen cooking up an amazing Strawberry Short Cake to pair with our Weibel Family Strawberry Sparkling. Check out Fred and Ida’s favorite recipe below!
- 3 pints fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups whipped heavy cream
- Slice the strawberries and toss them with 1/2 cup of white sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease and flour one 8 inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar and the salt. With a pastry blender cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until just combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool partially in pan on wire rack.
- Slice partially cooled cake in half, making two layers. Place half of the strawberries on one layer and top with the other layer. Top with remaining strawberries and cover with the whipped cream.
- Enjoy with a glass of Weibel Family Strawberry Sparkling