This month Fred Recommends the perfect weekend pair, Baby Back Ribs with Pomegranate Molasses Glaze paired with our Pomegranate Sparkling wine! Pick up a bottle or two of our Pomegranate Sparkling at the tasting room or online!
- 2 whole racks baby back ribs (approximately, 5 lbs)
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tsps ground coriander
- 1 ½ tbsps garlic powder
- 1 ½ tbsps onion powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsps Spanish paprika (pimentón)
- 2 tsps hot Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 ½ tbsps packed light brown sugar
- 3 tbsps butter
- 2 shallots, fine dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsps light brown sugar
- 4 ½ tbsps pomegranate molasses
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ tsp cayenne
- 1 ½ tsps Dijon mustard
- In a bowl, combine all of the dry rub ingredients and mix well.
- Tear two pieces of foil large enough to wrap around each rack of ribs, and place shiny side down on a surface. Tear equal-sized pieces of plastic wrap, and place on top of the foil sheets. Pat dry the ribs, and place each rack on the plastic wrap. Sprinkle both sides of the ribs generously with the dry rub, and pat the dry rub into the meat. Wrap tightly in the plastic wrap, followed by the foil. Refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour and up to 1 day in advance.
- Preheat the oven to 250? F. Let the ribs come up to room temperature (very important!). Place the foil and plastic-wrapped ribs on baking sheets on the middle rack in the oven, and cook for 4 hours. Remove, and let cool briefly.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic, and sauté for a few minutes until the shallots are translucent. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook stirring frequently for about 20 minutes.
- Turn the oven temperature up to broil. Carefully remove the ribs from the foil and plastic wrap and pour off any accumulated juices. Place back on the backing sheet, baste with the bbq sauce, and broil for 5 to 7 minutes until caramelized.
Recipe by aliyaleekong